The General Training Reading test is 60 minutes long.
Section 2 contains two short factual texts focusing on work-related issues (eg. applying for jobs, company policies, pay and conditions).
Section 3 contains one longer, more complex text on a topic of general interest.
A variety of questions are used, chosen from the following types: multiple choice, identifying information, identifying writer’s views/claims, matching information, matching headings, matching features, matching sentence endings, sentence completion, summary completion, note completion, table completion, flow-chart completion, diagram label completion, short-answer questions.
Each correct answer receives 1 mark. Scores out of 40 are converted to the IELTS 9-band scale. Scores are reported in whole and half bands.
General Training Reading sample tasks
- General Training Reading Sample Task - Flow Chart Completion (PDF, 40KB)
- General Training Reading Sample Task - Identifying Information (PDF, 99KB)
- General Training Reading Sample Task - Matching Information (PDF, 43KB)
- General Training Reading Sample Task - Matching Features (PDF, 32KB)
- General Training Reading Sample Task - Matching Headings (PDF, 31KB)
- General Training Reading Sample Task - Sentence Completion (PDF, 19KB)
- General Training Reading Sample Task - Short Answer Questions (PDF, 18KB)
- IELTS Reading Answer sheet (PDF, 130KB)
More free IELTS practice tests (Paper-based)
IELTS Academic practice tests
IELTS General Training practice tests
Get familiar with computer-delivered IELTS
Experience computer-delivered IELTS for free on your own computer, so you know what to expect on test day.