The Academic Reading test is 60 minutes long.
There are 3 sections. The total text length is 2,150-2,750 words.
- Each section contains one long text.
- Texts are authentic and are taken from books, journals, magazines and newspapers. They have been written for a non-specialist audience and are on academic topics of general interest.
- Texts are appropriate, and accessible, to test-takers entering undergraduate or postgraduate courses, or seeking professional registration.
- Texts range from descriptive and factual to the discursive and analytical.
- Texts may contain non-verbal materials, such as diagrams, graphs or illustrations.
- If texts contain technical terms, a simple glossary is provided.
A variety of questions is used, chosen from the following types: multiple choice, identifying information, identifying writer’s views/claims, matching information, matching headings, matching features, matching sentence endings, sentence completion, summary completion, note completion, table completion, flow-chart completion, diagram label completion, short-answer questions.
Each correct answer receives 1 mark. Scores out of 40 are converted to the IELTS 9-band scale. Scores are reported in whole and half bands.
IELTS Academic Reading sample tasks
More IELTS practice tests
IELTS Academic practice tests
IELTS General Training practice tests