IELTS test day and preparation - COVID-19 updates
Are you heading into your IELTS test? We are here to support you.
There is a lot happening in the world right now. We want to show you the additional precautions we have put in place to help protect your health and safety, so you can take your test and get on with pursuing your goals.
Please know that IDP's global community is #InThisTogether as we navigate the restrictions and frequent changes in place due to COVID-19.
Changes to IELTS Test arrangements
We have been following the advice of the World Health Organisation and relevant local governments to help create a healthy test day environment. Here is a summary of some of the additional precautions we have introduced for you and your fellow test takers:
- Ask you to sign a health declaration
- Test takers and staff may wear a mask
- Hand sanitisers readily available
- Test room disinfection & deep cleaning
- Additional spacing for test takers and reduced group sizes
- Partitions in computer-delivered IELTS test rooms
For the health and safety of all test takers, we will ask test takers to complete a self-declaration form confirming their health conditions on arrival.
We also advise you to please stay at home:
- If you have been in contact with a person suspected to have been exposed to novel coronavirus
- If you are unwell, have a cough or fever, or are showing signs of being short of breath
- If you are currently under compulsory self-isolation
Wearing a mask
Test takers, centre staff and examiners may wear a face mask covering their mouth and nose during the test as a precautionary health measure. Test takers are welcome to bring their own mask. However, you may be requested to uncover your face temporarily for some security checks.
Hand sanitiser readily available
As we know, handwashing is key to preventing the virus spread. You will be invited to wash your hand on arrival at the centre and throughout the day. Anti-bacterial hand sanitisers will be provided at the test centres.
You can help create a safe testing environment by using the hand sanitiser and washing your hands regularly.
Test room disinfection and deep cleaning
We are disinfecting all test-related equipment (such as desks, chairs, HB pencils, erasers, headphones, monitors, keyboards, mice…) after every test.
Additional spacing for test takers
To follow social distancing guidance instructed by the World Health Organisation, we are providing wider personal space for each test taker, including partitions in computer-delivered IELTS test rooms.
Reduced test session sizes
There will be lesser number of people in a room to ensure an increased and safe space between each other as you take the test.
Partitions in computer-delivered IELTS test rooms
Our computer rooms are equipped with partitions, ensuring a barrier between test takers.
Is testing suspended? Here are some of the ways you can use the time
If your test has been suspended, we have prepared a few tools to help you use the time to improve your score.
- Set up a study plan
- Take a free IELTS practice test
- Get familiar with the computer format by practicing with our free support tool
- Take a virtual tour of our computer-delivered IELTS centres
There are also a few other things you can do to position yourself to get your best score.
You can take an online practice test and get indicative band scores plus feedback from an official IELTS marker. Also, you can join the conversation on Facebook with daily tips on preparation. For visual learners, visit the official IELTS Writing video tutorials to help boost your Writing score.
Other fun ways to practice English at home:
- Sing along to English songs
- Watch films or television in English
- Listen to phone-in discussions on English radio
Unable to leave the house? Here is some support
If you are at home and under self-quarantine, then you can make use of the free preparation support available:
- Masterclass webinar
- Official IELTS support tool videos
- IELTS preparation guide
- Free IELTS preparation course on ieltsessentials.com
- Stay connected on Facebook.com/IELTSessentials
We're here to support you to achieve your goals.