IELTS Academic Reading practice tests
The Academic Reading test is 60 minutes
There are 3 sections. The total text length is 2,150-2,750
- Each section contains one long text.
- Texts are authentic and are taken from books, journals,
magazines and newspapers. They have been written for a
non-specialist audience and are on academic topics of general
- Texts are appropriate to, and accessible to, test-takers
entering undergraduate or postgraduate courses, or seeking
- Texts range from descriptive and factual to the discursive and
- Texts may contain non-verbal materials, such as diagrams,
graphs or illustrations.
- If texts contain technical terms, a simple glossary is
A variety of questions is used, chosen from the following types:
multiple choice, identifying information, identifying writer’s
views/claims, matching information, matching headings, matching
features, matching sentence endings, sentence completion, summary
completion, note completion, table completion, flow-chart
completion, diagram label completion, short-answer questions.
Each correct answer receives 1 mark. Scores out of 40 are
converted to the IELTS 9-band scale.
Scores are reported in whole and half bands.
IELTS Academic Reading sample tasks
More IELTS practice tests
IELTS Academic practice tests
IELTS General Training practice tests